Rescue Me is an American television drama that premiered on the FX Network in 2004. It is produced by the Cloudland Company, Apostle, DreamWorks Television and Sony Pictures Television. Rescue Me focuses on the professional and personal lives of New York City firefighters after the trauma of the September 11, 2001 attacks. The show stars Denis Leary, who plays the role of a New York City firefighter Tommy Gavin, a character whose life is full of torment and chaos.
Tommy has to struggle with the loss of his cousin, and best friend, Jimmy Keefe, who died on September 11th, 2001 and frequently visits Tommy in visions. In the pilot episode, Tommy and his wife have already separated and Tommy moved across the street. He is ill-tempered, self destructive, hypocritical, manipulative, and a relapsed alcoholic. He has also realized how much he has contributed to the breakup of his family and constantly struggles to reconcile with them. He loves his children very much and desires to get back together with his wife. However, despite slowly making steps toward his redemption, tragedy always seems to be right around the corner.
The series features several cast members from The Wire. Ivan J. Fonesca has worked as an assistant director on both series.
- Callie Thorne has a starring role as Sheila Keefe from season 2 of Rescue Me onwards (she appeared as a recurring guest star in the first season).
- Al Brown guest stars as a small man in the season 1 Rescue Me episode "Gay".
- Ramon Rodriguez has a recurring role as Kevin Vasquez in season 2 of Rescue Me.
- Marlyne Afflack has a recurring role as Coma Boy's mom in season 2 of Recue Me.
- Boris McGiver plays Captain Kent in the season 2 Recue Me episode "Sensitivity".
- Hassan Johnson plays a prisoner in the season 3 Recue Me episode "Chlamydia".
- Curtis L. McClarin plays Randy in the season 4 Recue Me episode "Black".