Boardwalk Empire is a television drama series that premiered in 2010. Like The Wire it airs on the HBO network on Sunday nights. The two series have several connections in the form of shared cast and crew members.
Boardwalk Empire is an American period crime drama series set chiefly in Atlantic City, New Jersey, during the Prohibition era of the 1920s and stars Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson. The series was created by Terence Winter, a Primetime Emmy Award-winning screenwriter and producer, inspired by Nelson Johnson's non-fiction book Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City, about the historical criminal kingpin Enoch L. Johnson.
The pilot episode was directed by Martin Scorsese and produced at a cost of $18 million. On September 1, 2009, HBO picked up the series for an additional 11 episodes. The series premiered on September 19, 2010, and its five-season run of 56 episodes ended on October 26, 2014.
Boardwalk Empire received widespread critical acclaim, particularly for its visual style and basis on historical figures, as well as for Buscemi's lead performance. The series received 57 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, including two for Outstanding Drama Series, winning 20. The series also won the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama in 2011 and two Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series in 2011 and 2012.
- Michael K. Williams stars as Chalky White in Boardwalk Empire and starred as Omar Little in The Wire.
- Franklin Ojeda Smith co-stars as Deacon Lemuel Cuffy in Boardwalk Empire and played a church minister in The Wire.
- Domenick Lombardozzi co-starred as Ralph Capone in Boardwalk Empire and starred police sergeant Thomas Hauk in The Wire.
- Boris McGiver
- Ed Bianchi has directed episodes of Boardwalk Empire and The Wire.
- Tim Van Patten is an executive producer and regular director for Boardwalk Empire and directed episodes of The Wire.
- Brad Anderson has directed episodes of Boardwalk Empire and The Wire.
- Dana Kuznetzkoff was a line producer for the pilot of Boardwalk Empire and a unit production manager for The Wire.